as8: why number eight
‘8’ (eight) is my favorite number. ‘A’ and ‘S’ are the initials of my name and surname.
When I was younger, I even designed an hairstyle based on this idea, for the heck of it.
There are other reasons I am considering, for is the number eight being :
- Number of repetition.
- Number of opening and union (two times four).
- Couple and union of two circles.
- Sideways, ‘8’ is the math symbol for infinity.
- Counting on the fingers, you stop on the middle finger.
- The 8 spokes of the Dharmachakra represent the Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism :
right faith, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right
endeavor, right mindfullness, and right meditation.
It is drawn from an Indian symbol which represents Samsara, or endless rebirth.
But to Buddhists it symbolizes overcoming obstacles.
- The 8 parts of the conversation :
noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, adverb, conjunction, preposition, interjection.
- VIII it has magical attributes such as :
balance, reasonableness, fairness, logic, stability.
- In the Bible, the word “egg” happens to appear exactly eight times, one of these is :
“She lays her eggs on the ground and lets them warm in the sand” (Job XXXIX, 14).
- “Isaac lived 108 years, he left the sons Esaù and Jacob” (Genesis XXXV, 28-29).
- 1988 “The Graphic Language of Neville Brody” exhibition/book (bio and article) in
Victoria & Albert Museum, London (April 27th to May 29th).
- SchoolHouse Rock! cartoon, “Figure Eight” episode, by B. Dorough (1973).
- NASA Photo ID, spacecraft.
- 8 bits represent the code of a glyph (character) in the ASCII code, the letter ‘A’
corresponds to 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1. The byte (8 bits) is the unit of measure of the
- Bungalow no.8 in Amazon – Datça, Turkey 09/2007.
- 8 March 2008, my engagement with Esen (followed by a second in Italy), and our wedding
on June 21st, 2008 (card and pictures).
8 in language :
[return to the index page]